I should’ve turned off the TV when the first thing on the screen was “WWE Studios.”
…but I didn’t. I dutifully sat there, waiting for a single redeeming moment in this film, but all I was left with were questions.
1. I thought this was supposed to be related to the original Leprechaun series? As far as I can tell, there is no connection to original seies, other than the concept of a “killer leprechaun.” I am guessing that it is intended as a complete reboot, with no mention of the original?
2. Why doesn’t the Leprechaun LOOK like a Leprechaun? If you’re going to go to the trouble of hiring a little person that is literally known for being a WWW wrestler that dresses as a Leprechaun (Hornswaggle)…why not have said little person dressed as a motherfucking Leprechaun? Instead, the Leprechaun more closely resembles a chupacabra. A naked Chupacabra. In fact, the film would have made much more sense as a chupacabra flick. Ireland and Mexico kind of look alike, huh?
3. Does the Leprechaun at least ACTLIKE a Leprechaun? NOPE. Other than snatching gold earrings (and a tongue stud), the Leprechaun portrays no other Leprechaun-like behaviour. No pot of gold, no shoe fetishist, no dirty limericks…that’s what I missed most…those crazy dirty limericks.
4. Were there any cool kills? Well, kind of…but it wasn’t even the Leprechaun who technically completed the kill…so does it even count? It was cool enough to prompt me to give the film one pity BOB, instead of the zero it deserves.
5. Will there be more films in this Leprechaun series? Although the ending left an opening for more films (The one thing I could never stomach about Ireland…all the damn leprechauns!), I cannot imagine a universe in which that would happen. This was one of the most boring pieces of shit that I’ve endured in YEARS. Bring back Warwick Davis!!! I’d love to see another Warwick Davis installment, wouldn’t you?